St Sophia and Three Daughters Greek Orthodox Church, is a heritage-listed Greek Orthodox Church at 411a Bourke Street in the inner city Sydney suburb of Surry Hills in the City of Sydney local government area of New South Wales, Australia.
Formerly a Congregational church, the building is also known as the former Bourke Street Congregational Church and School. It was added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999: Heritage listing
The present building was designed by William Boles and opened in 1880. The church had existed since 1855, operating out of a portable iron structure transported from England; when the new church was built, the old structure was moved to Stewart St, Paddington.
By 1933, the church was struggling both in congregation size and finances as the area had ceased to be seen as fashionable, and was no longer able to afford a regular minister, with ministers instead provided by the Home Mission Board. The collection plate takings had diminished to “only a few shillings”. During the 1930s, free meals were provided to unemployed men in the school hall, with 20,000 meals having been served between 1932 and 1935.
The church closed in the late 1930s. It was later leased by the Greek Orthodox Church, who then purchased it from the Congregational Church in the 1980s. It continues in operation today as the St Sophia and Three Daughters Greek Orthodox Church.
The original church pipe organ (1888) was transferred to the Galston Uniting Church in the 1980s, as it was no longer required under the new owners. The Galston Congregational Church Pipe Organ is separately listed on the New South Wales State Heritage Register.
……more history to be added.