The Holy Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia is extending its efforts to practically and genuinely support people during their time of need as a result of the challenging circumstances that have arisen out of the Coronavirus pandemic.
With the encouragement and blessing of His Eminence Archbishop Makarios, the Greek Welfare Centres of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese have undertaken specific initiatives throughout Australia in order to decisively meet the financial as well as the social implications that have ensued from the current crisis.
In NSW, the Greek Welfare Centre of the Holy Archdiocese in an attempt to directly deal with new situations stemming from the pandemic has, since the beginning of March, organised a number of specific initiatives.
1. The following services are available for everyone in our community:
- Counselling and Psychological Support Service to specifically tackle issues of anxiety and isolation
- Education / Practical steps for everyday life, regardless of whether or not people are staying at home
These specific services are offered free of charge by a psychologist and other specially trained staff of the Centre and are available also in Greek.
Those who are interested may phone the Centre’s Freecall number on 1800 77 66 42 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through to Friday.
2. The Centre is organising a Community Appeal with the aim of collecting canned and packaged food as well as financial donations, in order to help individuals and families that are in need.
Those who are interested in contributing to the program may:
- Phone 0477 375 359 in order to organise for a volunteer of the Centre to collect their contributions from outside their home.
- Phone 0477 375 359 or 02 9516 2188 if they prefer to leave their contributions at the Greek Welfare Centre (378a King St, Newtown) or at the Brighton Sessional Office (The Millennium Centre, 100 The Grand Pde, Brighton-Le-Sands).
Those who are in need and would like to receive food items are requested to phone the Greek Welfare Centre on 9516 2188 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through to Friday.
We also would like to remind people that the Archdiocesan District of Northcote Victoria, in collaboration with various community organisations and individuals, has already launched a new community relief program: COVID-19 COMMUNITY RELIEF. The program aims to help support families and people in order to meet their basic daily needs.
All people and businesses are invited to contribute to this unifying initiative by donating food, clothing, and personal hygiene and sanitary products. The following Parishes will function as collection and distribution centres:
Archiepiscopal Church of the District of Northcote (Holy Monastery of Panagia “Axion Estin”): 7 Hartington Street, Northcote
Parish of St Paraskevi: 22 Marsden Crescent, St Albans
Parish of the Presentation of Our Lord: 23-29 Victoria Street, Coburg
Parish of the Transfiguration of Our Lord: 45 Poplar Street, Thomastown
Financial contributions can be made by directly depositing into the following bank account:
Account Name: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
Consolidated Trust – Northcote District
Account Number:42128 9455
Similar programs for the support of people affected by the coronavirus pandemic are also being organised by the other Welfare Centres of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia.
Those interested may directly contact the relevant Welfare Centre at the details listed below:
- Queensland: 36 Browning St South Brisbane QLD 4101 Ph: (07) 3844 3669
- Western Australia: 390 Charles St North Perth WA 6006 Ph: (08) 9201 9655
- South Australia: 213 Henley Beach Rd Torrensville SA 5031 Ph: (08) 8212 5100